TELUS, a leading telecoms company has scored another first by providing services in remote and no-coverage zones. TELUS and Canadian-based TerreStar Solutions (operating under the Strigo brand) have successfully used satellite connectivity to conduct voice calls, and in partnership with Skylo, send text messages between smartphones, and connect to Internet of Things (IoT) devices.
This is a bold step toward a future without mobile no-coverage zones, one where all Canadians can feel safe and connected.
Darren Entwistle, President and CEO, TELUS stated: “This groundbreaking trial demonstrates the power of satellite technology and advances TELUS’ mission to bring vital connectivity to every area of Canada.
“This collaboration with TerreStar and Skylo lays the foundation for a world where everyone has access to potentially life-saving connectivity, and businesses and institutions can operate more sustainably and efficiently in remote regions. Through this innovative technology, we look forward to ensuring even more Canadians are able to connect with what matters most.”
In the future, this groundbreaking technology could fill existing gaps in mobile networks and transform the world into one where universal mobile-to-satellite and IoT-to-satellite connectivity can:
- Ensure customers in remote areas, such as hikers or campers, have mobile access no matter where they are;
- Provide backup connectivity so that emergency services are never out of reach, even when natural disasters impact networks and damage cell towers;
- Improve employee safety and reduce costs for industries that require remote field work and monitoring of critical operations like forestry, energy and scientific research;
- Enable uninterrupted fleet vehicle tracking and management of supplies for businesses in the most remote areas; and
- Deliver real-time data visibility, including temperature, water and site-specific information to farmers to improve decision-making and sustainability in remote agriculture.
“This successful demonstration marks a pivotal moment in the evolution of global connectivity,” said Jacques Leduc, President of TerreStar. “With the convergence of TerreStar, TELUS and Skylo’s cutting-edge technologies, we’re ushering in an era of unparalleled connectivity and transformative value for Canadian customers.”
“We are thrilled to partner with TELUS and TerreStar to bring direct satellite connectivity to customers in Canada,” said Tarun Gupta, CPO and Co-Founder of Skylo. “We’ve been able to expand beyond smartphones – into wearables and low-cost, low-power, IoT devices. This revolutionary new service will ubiquitously transform lives and businesses in a way no other mode of connectivity has done before.”